In life, we are faced with many choices. On a daily basis we are challenged to make decisions that hopefully the benefit will outweigh the risk. Just thinking of a few of these items:
- Tobacco: puts you at risk for periodontal disease, cardio vascular disease, oral cancer
- Coffee: acidity causes enamel stain and erosion
- Medications: some control health risks but at the same time cause xerostomia (dry mouth)
- Alcoholic Beverages: can cause enamel stain and erosion, risk of oral cancer, xerostomia
- Energy Drinks: acidity can cause enamel stain, erosion and create cavities
There are many risks in life, but weigh out the risks versus the benefits. Are there alternatives that can be substituted? If not, consider counteracting against these ill effects
- Consider using tobacco cessation products
- Drink water after sugar and acid consumption and avoid brushing until oral pH can get back to normal (20 min approx.)
- Use products that keep the oral cavity hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is a wonderful idea but there are also rinses and natural candies that can aid such as Biotene, ACT Dry Mouth, Vaseline, Xylitol products (Ice Chips, Spry Products) Pilocarpine Lollipops just to name a few.
Consult with the professionals at Arizona Biltmore Dentistry if you have any questions!