Snoring and Sleep Apnea
Why is Snoring a big deal?
Aside from an irritated spouse - or worse, being forced to sleep on the couch - Snoring is a big deal because there are actually several health risks associated with it.
These are just a few to be concerned about:
- Arrhythmias: Irregular heartbeat rhythm
- Weight Gain: Interrupted metabolism
- Heart Disease: Thickening of the carotid arteries
- Stroke: Lack of blood to the brain which can lead to disability or death
- Headache: Lack of sufficient oxygen to the brain
- GERD: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Heart Attack: the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a section of heart muscle suddenly becomes blocked and the heart can't get oxygen.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a disorder that causes pauses in breathing during sleep. These pauses occur several times every hour. Imagine if you stopped breathing up to 30 times per hour throughout the day. It would be pretty tough to function properly - mostly because of the health issues listed above. Sleep Apnea is a serious disorder requiring proper treatment.
How can I get treated for Snoring and Sleep Apnea?
Before anything else, we first encourage our patients to use our take home sleep study and have our partnering sleep doctor group analyze the data to see what would be the next step in treating your apnea. In addition to coaching our patients to develop better sleep habits, Arizona Biltmore Dentistry will also recommend an oral repositioning appliance designed to fit into your mouth like mouth guards worn by athletes to alleviate the causes of snoring and sleep apnea. It might be tough to adjust to sleeping with a device like this around your mouth, but the health benefits and risk prevention is worth the adjustment!